Thread: 6 years sober
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 07:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Venecia

6 years sober

Tomorrow, the 15th, is my sixth anniversary of sobriety.

It feels as though the ground underneath me has shifted many times—some for better, some not. With sobriety as my constant, I have been able to withstand what I must, flourish when I can and live a mostly content life.

Though I don’t come by as often as I used to, I remain so very grateful to SR.

I’m writing this eve of my anniversary because tomorrow night, I’ll be out meeting with others who share my interest in environmental advocacy. I wouldn’t have done that in the bad old days. My web site, which also focuses on an environmental issue, is 1 1/2 years old now and though I’ve not got what you’d call a huge following — not even close! — it’s plugging along. It feels good to be writing more.

My job is going well; this year, I’ve been able to take on some new challenges, which has been cool. I continue to enjoy photography and travel. This summer, I enjoyed taking my niece on vacation.

My sobriety has been an anchor. In the last five years, there’s been a lot of loss in my life—my dear parents, after long, fulfilling lives, and my beloved nephew. Some things are very hard.

Maybe if you’re new here, or struggling, the life I’m describing seems very far away from yours. I know the feeling. When I limped onto SR, I’d read posts from people celebrating sober anniversaries and wondered if I had even the remotest chance of walking a mile in their shoes.

It’s all possible.

Live in the solution.