View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Worrying about making the right decisions is a starting point, but keep in mind that no one makes the right decisions all the time. It sounds like you are starting to give your decisions some thought, and that may be the best any of us can do. Thinking about the long term consequences of whatever you decide should be part of the process. There is one option about decisions that you shouldn't overlook, and that is the "do nothing" option. It's not necessarily good or bad, but it may be better than jumping in with both feet if you're not sure. Use the extra time to think some more.

So when are you really ready to make changes? I don't think that can be judged by days weeks or months. It depends on how big the emergency is for one thing. It also depends on when you are better able to make decisions (which may be difficult to determine). Most of all, if it turns out wrong, don't make the same mistake again and move on.

There's a rule of thumb often cited in AA: "Don't make any changes for a year." Obviously, I think decision making may be required before then, and I believe one year is far to arbitrary. But there is one thing I get from that rule of thumb. Maybe not exactly one year, but do take your time and give some thought to what you do.