View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
PuzzledHeart

I remember when I was a teen, probably your Son's age or a bit older. My Father was ranting one night. My siblings and my Mom were sitting on the sofa while I decided to tell him exactly what I thought, so I let him have it.

I was yelling at him..

He stood up and hit me across the face, hard. It's actually the only time he ever hit me, so I was a bit surprised.

My siblings and my Mom and I all walked out. We went across the street to our neighbour's house (she was also our friend).
When I was around twelve, my abuser was ranting and railing about my behavior. She asked me "How did you learn to be so mean?"

I responded, "I learned it from you."

I got a slap across the face so hard that my tooth caught my lip and it started bleeding. I went to the bathroom, saw my face with my swollen, bleeding lip, and started hysterically laughing because I looked like hell.

I then wandered into the backyard, and even though it was raining, circled it for hours.

Nobody said anything. My sister saw the slap and was scared into submission. My father was in another room and was completely clueless. Everything went quiet, and I felt crazy and wrong and confused.

However, now that I'm blessed with the gift of hindsight, I can say that if I was given the choice, I would say those same words again.