View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 11:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
newhope01

It’s wonderful how you can see so much positive as well as the negative. After all the abuse I see and hear of children growing up with addicts for parents I’m glad to read how much you love them and how grateful you are to have them in your life. Thank god you got sober!

You can be part of their lives as they continue to grow and possibly have kids of their own where you then get to be a healthy grandparent. You get to live a long happy life enjoying your family. That is the true beauty in spite of your addiction to alcohol.

I wish I could have had at least one caring adult during my childhood. Now that I have my own little bundle of joy and I wish she could have grandparents in her life. I was loaded when I planned to conceive my daughter. I was hungover when I took a pregnancy test and discovered my angel growing in my body (interestingly enough on mother’s day). I quit finally right there. She deserves a sober and happy mom. Writing this has given me pause and almost tears as I think how reckless and selfish I was.

If I didn’t have a drinking problem I don’t think I would have rationally decided to have a baby. But I do not attribute alcohol to the beauty that is my daughter. She is in spite of it.

Some good things happened while you were drunk or drinking but I wouldn’t attribute the beauty of your life for the role alcohol played in those moments. Instead I would cherish how lucky you are and how wonderful it is for you to continue to experience more beautiful moments your sober life has provided you.

My hat is off to you for being such a great dad. Keep it up!