View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
snitch

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but I will share my experience.

When I was a young child up to the ages of probably about 10 to 12, possibly younger, I believed in a Christian God. I would say my prayers every night. I believed.

When I was drinking I do not remember believing in anything. I lived to drink. I had no morals, I was selfish. God? Pah! Alcohol was my God.

When I tried getting sober and was asked to believe in a Power Greater than me, I reacted along the lines of what TomSteve described. I was like, why will God help me? A stupid, worthless drunk, when there is so much suffering in the world and people who need help more than me. Little children for example. The only time I would pray was to ask God to not let me wake up in the morning. I always did.

Until 15 months ago, when I was so, so desperate. I couldn't stop drinking. Nothing was working and it was getting worse. I prayed to God. My old Christian God but I didn't really know what I was praying to. I was just in so much pain. Neither dead nor alive, existing in a hellish limbo. Death seemed a way better option than how I was living but I realises I didnt want to die!! . I wanted to get sober and live. 2 nights of hideous withdrawals. the first night I prayed for God to let me live, and to get sober. The 2nd night I prayed to God that if it was my time to die I was ok with that but please wait until my daughter is with her daddy and not let her wake up next to her dead mummy.

I survived and I got myself to AA. When I did step 2 my belief in a Higher Power was already there. It was easy for me to believe in a Power Greater than me. I was just a pimple on this rock we call Earth. But what is that Power? I don't really know. I call it God. My childlike belief of a man in white robes with a long beard sitting on a fluffy cloud still comes to me although deep down I don't really believe that is true. For me God is Good, Kind, Tolerant, Patient, Forgiving, Comforting, Beautiful. I believe because I couldn't stop drinking. Until I really put all my trust into this Power. It was certainly not my will. My will will take me to the nearest pub/bar and get drunk.

Putting my trust into this Power (God) with ALL my affairs is something different and I really have to work on that on a daily basis. God is everything or else he is nothing. This is so true. I gave my greatest problem to God and I haven't had a drink since so I have to trust God with all my other matters and through daily prayer, AA meetings, talking to my sponsor, I am doing that.

I still not know what this Power is but I know it is Greater than me and when I hand my will and my life over things really are good and maybe that is all I need to know?