Thread: Day 1
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Livingonwishes

Originally Posted by Lucinda2 View Post
Thank you. You are right.

I guess I would never have found my way to this forum in the first place if things were ok and I didn't need help.

I think because I cleaned up from long-term drug use on my own many years ago I find it hard to ask for help now. But in some ways, alcohol is harder than cleaning up from drugs - or at least it is different.

When I finally stopped using drugs I cut every bit of my old drug-related life out and ceased contact with practically everyone I knew. They weren't friends anyway. They were simply drug acquaintances.

But with alcohol, it is different as you will all know.
I am lucky to certain extent that I only ever dabbled in drugs and never had a problem. My only real vices were alcohol and cigarettes and I have been 8 months sober although still smoking, lol.

I attend AA meetings and I have to say that what you say about giving up drugs has been echoed many times in those meetings. Everyone who had a problem with both drugs and alcohol have said that stopping using was so much easier than stopping drinking.

I guess it's partly because alcohol is readily available and is always "in your face" in shops, but as you mentioned, you can remove those people from your life that helped facilitate drug taking but it is almost impossible to remove those people that you drank with. My own personal experience is that I have very understanding friends that won't drink around me but my family still drink and because of the effects alcohol had on my life I have to live with my parents who are both drinkers.

It's hard to deal with at times but just being selfish about myself and my recovery helps me get through. Like I said you have kicked the drugs and you CAN kick the alcohol, it won't be a bed of roses but you have an outlet on this forum that can give you the encouragement and support you need. If you just need a rant then this is the place to do it, I have done that more than once and had some amazing responses and words of advice.

Once you start believing you can it becomes easier to achieve!!