View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 11:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Phinneas

Originally Posted by 4Jessie
Does this mean I have to be "recovering" my entire life? Isn't there a point where you are finally over it?
Welcome to SR, Jessie. Sometimes it takes a bit of time for people to respond, depending on who is around. But others will be by soon to share their experience, strength and hope with you.

In my experience, addiction is a progressive disease. It's not likely that we can use again in the future without being right back where we started from (or worse off) in a very short amount of time. That said, and this may seem like a contradiction, we don't need to quit using forever, just one day at a time. I just don't have to use today and those todays slowly but surely add up to weeks and months and years. That's how it works and it does work. We do recover.

What is your plan for getting through the coming weekend without picking up? In recovery, it's recommended that we change people, places and things that relate to using. Meetings are a great place to meet new people, get tools on how not to pick up no matter what and learn to deal with life without drugs or alcohol. I suggest you check out some meetings in your area.

Oh, and a drug is a drug is a drug, which includes alcohol. You mentioned in your post about how alcohol leads you straight to crack. So not picking up means not picking up a drink or a joint or a whatever, too.

Glad you're here, Jessie. Hang in there and keep posting, k?