View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 12:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SoberCAH

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
The hangover. Not the gut wrenching, head pounding, shameful hangover of a night out. No. I know how long that lasts. I am talking of the early recovery leap into the unknown hangover. I am talking of the sober alcoholic.

I read somewhere that in sobriety we become the people we were always meant to be. If that is the case then I am not very impressed with the real me. Four months into recovery I find that I am more impatient and intolerant than I have ever been as a drunk. While drinking to excess I somehow found it easier to accept other people, to overlook character flaws and to ignore downright stupidity. I suppose I knew that as a drunk many overlooked my bad behaviour and I reciprocated.

Either this is the real me, or this is still part of the long term effect of abusive drinking. Whatever it is, I will have to work a lot harder at becoming a more acceptable human being, not only for others but also for myself.
I think you are doing very well.

The key is to focus on doing the right things all day long, from a recovery standpoint and generally, and not worry about when the magic starts to occur.

It already has, in large part, since you have been sober for 4 months.

In recovery, things don't change - we do.

We especially change in how we respond and react to both internal and external stimuli.

It happens over time.

We hope that you stay sober and that you remain here with us.

The magic's comin'.