View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
WeThinkNot

When I quit drinking I gave myself one year to quit smoking cigarettes. I didn't want to overwhelm myself in early sobriety, especially considering I had already relapsed twice before. At the same time I had no intentions of trying to build a better life for myself while continuing with such a disgusting and harmful habit.

About a month before my first birthday I had a family dinner to attend. Right before leaving work I had a cigarette, there was only three left in the pack. As I smoked one of them I realized I wouldn't have enough for later in the evening and I would need to stop by 7-11 on the way home. Then I remembered the promise I had made for myself and since I didn't want to inconvenience myself I thought...why not just stop now?

I smoked that last cigarette and tossed the other two in the trash. For a couple of days I was cranky and irritable but I quickly got over the hump. Most people say quitting smoking is harder than quitting drinking which I find surprising. For me it was about a billion times easier to quit smoking. Sugar on the other hand...