Thread: 365 Days.
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 05:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tynesider22

365 Days.

Hi all.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone on SR for your help, friendship and support over the past year.

I've been sober for a year. Wow, I remember when a day sounded impossible.

Short version of my story is that this time 12 months ago, I was feeling ill. I'd had a drink thinking it was just the alcohol, which didn't have any effect and I wasn't in a position to buy any more.

I rang a doctor. I told them I hadn't been drinking (to this day I don't know why) and that I was feeling ill. I was sent to the out of hours clinic as it was a Sunday who in turn sent me to the hospital, where I was for 5 days.

I'll not go into details, but they got me sobered up, despite my protests that I didn't drink (I wish I could answer that question), feeling a lot better and got me in touch with a local support group.

I was diagnosed with hepatitis, and basically the doctor said that I had a chance to get better, but I had to stop drinking. It was my choice, but if I didn't, I'd be back up there again.

A year on, the same doctor is happy with my progress, my liver has returned to almost normal and mentally and physically, I've never felt better in my life.

I look back with shame on my drinking days, but I know you can't change the past, but you can look towards a brighter future.

12 months ago, I was lying on a hospital bed with a drip in my wrist, today, it's a nice summers day in the UK and I'm thinking of going out!

Once again, thanks SR, this forum and the people that frequent it have really helped over the past year, knowing that I am not the only one fighting this battle.

Thank you.