View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 11:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

The tortoise won the race.

Originally Posted by hothow View Post
am i expecting to much to soon??any thoughts??many thanks in advance.
Take a breath.

Getting and staying sober is the most difficult thing I've ever done.

I learned that none of us get to decide in advance what we will and will not feel or who we are becoming (and whom are no longer) after not drinking or being sober for six months. Especially on top of the thirty-five year plan.

I believe that we cannot know what we'll feel or who we are becoming until we get there. And then it's gone before we have a chance to think about it. It's not a race, so rushing towards an elusive finish line will not result in cash and prizes.

I also learned that it's okay for me to despair once in a while, but that I shouldn't linger. Too dangerous with too many unwanted consequences.

There are so many times in sobriety to make a courageous choice and then do what is right for. The experience is difficult to describe. Like telling someone who never ate chocolate what chocolate tastes like. It's sometimes exhilarating and at other times a sense of feeling at peace with myself and with the world. well-being.

I was sober for twenty-five years, drank for three years, and am currently sober for almost eight years. I don't know personally anyone who regrets having stayed sober.