View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 05:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by entropy1964 View Post
So this probably isn't the greatest piece of advice but it really helps me. The idea being , I am my thoughts. So if I entertain drinking, well guess what? I'm going to think about drinking.

When I say stuff like, I will not drink 'today' my crazy brain says, maybe tomorrow. Resulting in the same white knuckle feeling of drinking still being some kind of option.

Take it off the table. Say NO. That is a complete sentence.
Actually, I think that's very good advice. The eventuality of recovery is that we stop entertaining drinking and cravings. It's no longer part of our lives. So early on, we should practice taking it off the table, which is exactly the goal in recovery.

I didn't use that advice to stop drinking, not consciously, at least, but as soon as I read your post, I recognized it as valuable, because it's something I learned to do when dealing with resentments. Don't worry about why resentments (or cravings) are there. Just stop focusing on them.

It's seems counter intuitive, but it actually works. I don't want to oversimplify and say that's all it takes (although it may be all it takes), but if you need more, taking these issues off the table can be a valuable supplement to your other tools.