View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jjwinters

Just broke up with my girlfriend

Hi All,

I've posted on here intermittently over the past year. Tonight, I finally broke up with my alcoholic girlfriend. I am in pretty unimaginable pain. Friends think that it should be a relief given how bad our problems have been. I feel no relief. Just loss. She is an amazing person with a horrible problem. If she even recognized it as a problem, I would probably still be with her. She just expected me to submit and not even get upset by anything she does. It's an impossible standard to live by.

This morning, she told she was having trouble emotionally. I decided to cut my work day in half and bring my dog over to her place to spend the night. When I get there, she tells me that this friend of hers wants to meet up for drinks. It was this guy friend of hers that she had gone drinking with alone one time without me knowing who he was or where they were going. I only say this because this is something she would never let me do with another woman.

Anyway, I was instantly concerned and I expressed that. I didn't like that this guy (who has a long-distance girlfriend) keeps hitting up my girlfriend for drinks. I also didn't drop everything and pack my stuff so I could go get drinks with some dude that I don't know. Mind you, I also knew given how rough a patch she's been having lately, that she was going to get extremely drunk. I could tell she was just itching to drink even if it was almost certain to turn out badly.

It was around 5 pm and she already started mentioning that I could drive us back if she drinks too much. I instantly called out that we were heading for a problem if she had already decided she was getting drunk. It wasn't even an option in her mind to only have a couple of drinks.

Sure enough, she gets really drunk on vodka/sodas. The lady next to me was even concerned and asked me if she was alright. As she gets more drunk, she starts being very grabby and hugging this other dude. It was in a friendly way but still definitely uncomfortable and disrespectful towards me. She had her hand on his thigh and he put his hand on her thigh a couple of times. In my head, I am just thinking how badly she would lose her @#$ if I ever brought a girl out and acted like that. She loses her temper when friends text me to catch up.

At the same time, she starts being very grabby and embarrassing with me. She was grabbing my hair, trying to get me to make out with her at the bar... She could barely sit in her seat straight so it was just uncomfortable.

We get back to her place and I let her know that I can't stay and am going home. I just simply stated that she would never be ok with me behaving the way she did. Then she got up and told me that this wasn't going to work any more. Simple as that. I walked out.

I just absolutely hate everything about this. I'm just so angry that a strong connection with someone can be broken over wanting to get **** drunk with a random friend at a bar. It's heartbreaking.