View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RaiseAnchor

First, congratulations on six months. That's fantastic. You're fantastic.

One of the (small) mistakes I made when I quit drinking was thinking that by quitting it would solve all of my problems: depression, anxiety, etc..

Well, I figured out that I probably drank because of those reasons, rather than the alcohol being the complete catalyst. I'm sure alcohol also exacerbated my issues.

I think putting down the alcohol was the easy part for me, but it's learning how to make the decision not to pick it back up that is the difficult part. At a year and a half of sobriety I found myself slipping. I ultimately didn't drink or anything like that, but I really thought about it. I really considered it. It was like I had to relearn to cope to day to day life without a mind altering substance again, even though I had been without it for quite a bit. It was discouraging.

It was easier to say no at that point, though. It was easier to see what a mistake it would be even risk falling back into the cycle of drinking and madness I once I existed within. It still sucked, though.

I know it's subjective, but I don't think life gets easier without alcohol, so much as we hopefully find ourselves with more fortitude to deal with the tough times. I definitely have a more thorough appreciation of the good times, too. Sobriety has definitely turned me into a more bold individual, but at least I can feel I have a sincerity with my actions.