View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 05:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Bonnie, it looks to me like you have the knowledge base, resources, and determination that you need for a joyful recovery. It's your environment that I worry about. I'm not sure I could have turned the corner if I had a partner that wasn't with me completely with the same goal in mind. So I have to say I'm impressed with your 6 months. You may have a determination I would not have been able to muster. I'm not sure, but what you have done is in my mind, nothing short of spectacular. You've got that strength working in your favor. If you can keep this up forever, I'm going to put you on my list of heroes. Which is a very short list by the way.

But I still have this worry about your ability to keep it up. All I can tell you is that I truly hope you do. Once you do, I think you are going to be home free, and I can relax. I have close friends where the husband is a long in recovery alcoholic who does not drink, but the wife does, although not as often as your husband. As far as I can tell, the husband does not so much as bat an eye when his wife drinks with her friends. I also know him well enough to know that he will never drink again. So these kinds of marriages are possible. A big difference from your situation is that he quit drinking long before they were together, so I think it may just be a matter of getting over this unusually big hump. I wish you the best.