Thread: New to this
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 01:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BrianK

Welcome Andy!

I feel like this forum provides a good baseline for my recovery plan this time. I've made dozens of attempt to quit over the past 20 years, some more serious, some less. I've tried all kinds of things, and am still doing a number of things like exercise, occasional AA meetings, church, journaling, reading.

What's really cool about posting on here is you can ask a specific question and get a dozen focused responses. So if you try something like a SMART or AA meeting and still have some questions you don't feel comfortable asking there, dump 'em here! From what I've seen all honest questions are welcome, so you can tailor your recovery program to you.

I made the mistake for years of trying to follow one particular method precisely. I felt like I was doing all the right things but couldn't seem to "get it." Then someone pointed out that MY program might not be THAT program. I'd have to tweak it a bit, and continue to be open to new ideas that might be helpful, and be willing to make changes as I progressed. It felt like it took a lot of pressure off to "get it right, from the start" and just begin living life more soberly and positively and openly, and continue to grow and make changes as needed.

And over the next few days you'll see incoming threads of new people on their own Day 1, and you're going to be able to relate your immediate experience to them in a way that's fresh and recent, and pass it on...