View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
WeThinkNot

Originally Posted by Canuck76 View Post
One thing I am conflicted on is do I try to talk to my father about it. I don't think he would even respond to the notion at all. I don't know where to go from here but I believe I may have found the main catalyst for my alcoholism and substance abuse in general. Never could really understand why I couldn't stay sober for long.
For many years I blamed my father for my alcoholism. Of course it was all BS, he never put a gun to my head and forced me to drink. I knew the road I was heading down a long time ago, I could have and should have gotten help many years ago before addiction really sunk its talons into my mind, body, and soul.

My drinking and the consequences of my drinking over the years is all my fault. I have forgiven my father for my painful childhood but the drinking falls squarely on my shoulders.

At the same time he is also accountable for his past misdeeds. I've made big strides in my two years of sobriety and I'm turning into somebody I can be proud of. I am my own man, my father's respect and admiration is not something I covet nor value. Our relationship is cordial and I have no interest in advancing it beyond that. I don't call him, I don't confide in him, and I don't ask for his advice. I wish for him to live out his remaining years on earth in happiness but we are never going to be pals.

Hopefully this was of some help to you.