View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Canuck76

Childhood Emotional Neglect

After a couple decades of searching for answers for why I feel so different than others, I finally found the problem: I have been suffering the effects of Childhood Emotional Neglect my entire life.

It explains all my struggles and why I developed ADHD. I couldn't see it because it is not abuse or trauma that can be memorable. It's about attention I didn't receive as a child. It didn't happen so I can't have formed memories. zit was so subtle that it is impossible to identify as it's happening.

I am 42 now. Huge problems in every aspect of my life. Alcohol was a coping mechanism for a problem I could never put my finger on. I answered yes to every question on a 20 question screening quiz.

What really made things come to light was the death of my mother last November. I was waiting for it to hit me emotionally ever since. Still nothing. No real emotion over her death. There was never an emotional bond created when I was an infant. Same with my father. No bond was created as a child.

I tried therapy a few years ago but I don't think I was capable or even willing to see it. My therapist tried but I don't think I could have responded to it. It made sense but I couldn't see it because I had no memory since emotional neglect about what didn't happen.

It is really sad that it took my mother dying to finally realize what has been wrong with me my whole life.

Anyone else experience Childhood Emotional Neglect?