View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
August252015

So I looked this up and realized why this sounded vaguely familiar- it's from Jellinek, as in the "Jellinek curve" ... the pioneering of the disease model of addiction.

Used here, it sounds like an odd way (to me) of commingling mental illness - since you are talking about meds - with alcoholism and its last/end stage as I've heard it commonly called. I certainly was at that stage by the end. I also find it interesting that his research was considered counter to AA's model which in a nutshell identifies all us alcoholics as the "same kind." So, while I was at the far end of the spectrum and a cusp-of-death alcoholic, and my husband was what people (annoyingly, bc it is a misnomer) call a very high functioning alcoholic....we are both the same, at the end of the day.

It's also interesting to me (and, incorrect IME and IMO) that he was actually creating a limiting model where some of the types are "not diseased."

I'm a huge believer that we have to have the alcohol completely out of there to be able to truly assess what/if mental health meds are needed. I also find it interesting that his research was considered counter to AA's model which in a nutshell identifies all us alcoholics as the "same kind."

Like MM said, some worked for him and not others; I get quite leery when folks talk about meds working miracles, to paraphrase you Sammy. Hope that the not drinking will be coupled with a foundation of recovery action, not just the meds for your mental health needs.

(In case anyone is interested -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._Morton_Jellinek)