Old 06-05-2019, 02:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
August252015

Like your update on the whole!

To specifically answer your question....I took TIME. As in, I was very conservative on what I did and where I went and with whom. I only went out to dinner a dozen times maybe, in my first 90-100 days, and it was with my parents. I didn't do ANY socializing with people drinking, places drinking, etc. I didn't take my first trip out of town til 9 mo- and it was with my now husband who is also sober; sidenote, we had to wait awhile at a restaurant while in DC and could only find seats at the bar...he wasn't comfortable waiting there so we went to a different place for dinner. First party, 14 mo sober, wedding 19 mo....

When I DID start doing stuff, I was getting emotionally sober and steady. I also had a plan for everything- something in hand to drink, a sponsor/friend/mom to text (I left a small dinner party in a tizzy around 7 mo sober), I left at the first spark of anxiety, I had an exit strategy...and honestly? I only started re-inviting or approaching people who would support me, and are trying to live their own best lives.

In shorter form- put being sober first, read around here on the things people will suggest and saying no til you can handle stuff is A-OK.

And I can promise you that I have found that stuff is a lot easier and more fun once I learned I could do things sober- and my idea of fun has changed big time. And sober? I have total control over what I do bc it's not controlled by how much alcohol can be involved.