View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 05:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Snowball99

Originally Posted by WeThinkNot View Post
Hi Snowball,

I was a functional alcoholic for many years. Some people hate the term but I believe it adequately conveys what it's supposed to. I managed to hold a job, barely keep my finances in order enough to continue drinking, and was putting up the outward façade as best as I could.

After two years of sobriety and putting in the hard work of fixing myself I have made a pleasant discovery. Life is easy. Just think about how much energy and effort is expended trying to hold your life together while being a heavy alcoholic. Remove drinking from the equation, put some genuine effort into recovery and it is like finding the cheat code to life.

Make no mistake about it, early sobriety is tough. But after putting in the time and effort it was amazing to me how quickly and how easily my problems went away.
Hi WeThinkNot,

Thanks for your perspective. I had some sort of idea that what you said would be true for me. Heavy drinking 3 times a week would probably give similar results as having a cold that never goes away.

My life while drinking has been really half assed. I make it through, have a place to live and a car, but I feel like I have to try really hard to pull that off while drinking. I have actually accomplished some things I am proud of, but it's sad to think about how I could have done a lot better in a few areas of my life. I look forward to being able to do better and having that be easier.