Thread: Shame
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Apri View Post
My concerns and thoughts for this morning is guilt and shame. I have put my loved ones through so much.
Holy cow...... I could write a book on GUILT and SHAME. Interestingly enough, I was convinced for the first several years of my recovery that neither was really much of a thing in my life..... I came to find out however that these two, what are they - emotions, feelings, beliefs, lifestyles...? - had absolutely dominated and darn near controlled nearly every decision I'd ever made going back as far as I possibly could in my life.

Two books really helped me...... and by helped me I mean it felt like they were destroying me as I read them - lol. They did a phenomenal job of waking me up to the reality I was in yet quite oblivious to. They gave me some tips as well but my path out of the guilt/shame hurricane required a fairly hefty amount of work, new considerations, and many many failures.

Anyway, the books are - "The Emotionally Abusive Relationship: How to Stop Being Abused and How to Stop Abusing" by Beverly Engel and then "Healing the Shame that Binds You" by John Bradshaw.

I almost hesitate to recommend them in that the truths they woke me up to were extreeeemely difficult to accept and even more-so to handle. Thankfully I had some very strong therapists in my life at the time and were it not for them I probably would have been in a lot of trouble - trouble that ultimately could have been very destructive to everyone around me and ultimately to me.

I don't know where you are (mentally, emotionally, etc) but I fancied myself a pretty tough guy - especially mentally and emotionally - and those two books kicked my butt. This stuff is not to be trifled with - for some of us.

-- on the lighter side, this one was reeeeally good and dealt with similar issues: "Why Am I Afraid to Tell You Who I Am?" - by John Powell