View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 06:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by froscow View Post
Sorry if it appeared that way, I'm definitely not trying to promote it, just talking about my own personal experience. But I can see how it could be perceived that way..I didn't really think before I typed.. I kind of regret mentioning it now.
Yes, respectfully, this is a sticky wicket that I have a big problem with people supporting here (as in, using while being sober and sharing) for so many reasons.

It's up to you to decide what sobriety means to you.

I indeed relate to the whole addict mind thinking....I'm still engaged in "a sugar thing" here at 3+ yr sober. It doesn't affect my life but it does affect my waistline and connected to my activity level I'm making habit changes now (er, again).

I have about 3 drinks on hand at any given time- right now, actually, just two with one waiting in the fridge. My ubiquitous sparkling water with lime, a diet coke, and a diet lemonade (that one takes me thru the day) in the fridge. Obsessive and anxiety provoking when I'm without? has been, tho recently I've actually been choosing to be out and about with just one drink. It really doesn't bother me to have quirky "addictions."

I do take a benzo for anxiety tho - and it's something I'm re-assessing right now as I believe intent is the key in using anything substance-wise.

As far as NA bevs- most beers still have some alcohol so there's that. There's also the habit-connection. People differ for all kinds of reasons on this one. This newish "Fre" wine? I can't imagine a good reason (as in, one that supports my MENTAL as well as physical sobriety) to put fake chardonnay in a wine glass (or any vessel!) and have it with dinner. I also don't cook with wine/liquor, and only around yr 2.5 (so, not quite a yr ago) did I become ok if a restaurant dish arrived with an unexpected ingredient- I do still stop eating it, and once I realized at 7 mo that was a boundary for me, I still know what to order/not most of the time so I don't ingest alcohol. I also only order a zero proof drink at one of the restaurants in the company I work for, and do that rarely- our owner is sober and I'm a leader of our recovery group so I am 100% sure there's not even bitters containing alcohol in the mocktails.

Addiction's a slippery slope.