View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Atlast9999

I understand what you are saying. I used alcohol as a social lubricant too. I’ve always being extremely insecure, shy, uncomfortable around people, etc. Have a few drinks and *poof* the super outgoing, funny, people loving me came out.

When I quit drinking, I reverted back to my old, shy self. I spent a lot of time alone, or with close friends/family, at the beginning.

I’m a few weeks shy of a year sober now. My personality and comfort levels, both internally and externally, are completely different from where they were just shy of a year ago.

Guess what? I am actually a people person and enjoy getting silly, laughing, hanging out, meeting new people while sober!

I’ve also learned other new things about myself: I have figured out that I do actually have boundaries and I reinforce them now. I no longer feel that I have to people please. I have ideas, beliefs, and feelings that I now guard and protect.

I never, ever thought any of these statements would apply to me. Alcohol robbed me of getting to know my true self and to know who and what I am.

Stay the course. You will be amazed at who you meet (meaning you!) on your sober journey.