Old 05-23-2019, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Whenever I hear that "we're big and complex and it can't possibly work here" I always think why not? What is specifically about the US that would stand in the way of replicating the solution in a smaller country like Portugal? It's not like there's anything scaleable about the solution of changing the emphasis from prohibition and policing to decriminalization and treating it solely as a health issue? The cost of policing and housing drug criminals is astronomical already. And he is absolutely correct that once you give someone a felony conviction, it's nearly impossible to find employment in the corporate sector at any level other than entry level.

I don't think that the speaker was saying that physical dependence isn't a part of addiction. My own experience was that withdrawal was a barrier to stopping, but medical intervention handled that part of the problem pretty handily. It's just that keeping people from being exposed to addictive substances as a means of prevention simply doesn't work to solve the problem.

I don't believe that our 12 Step centric rehabilitation is a solution for everyone either, but it's so entrenched in our rehab systems and criminal justice system that often it's the only game in town. I have no issues with 12 Step as a continued sobriety method, it works for many people, but it also DOESN'T work for many people, myself included. The per-profit motive isn't inherently a problem, but what I think IS a problem is the lack of standards and accepted protocol to open and operate a rehabilitation and/or sober living center.