View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sydneyman

"The longest I ever went was five years all on my own. I just told myself over and over again, "I don't drink" until it became true. Those were five happy years and the only five years of my adult life that I remember clearly"

It sounds like those 5 years were great but also hard at the same time. The term dry drunk is used when you just stop drinking and that's it. There is so much more than just stopping. In rehab they said.. Ok you have quit now, recovery has started but you only done 5%, the next 95% is going to be the hardest part. So true. This is my third real attempt where I have quit. This time I have been able to prepare myself and get all the tools and support. From changing my routine to "unfortunately" dropping friends. My whole life has changed. In the beginning it was hard but now its actual joy. Its a complete change. I work on my recovery daily and do not take it for granted. I nurture it like a fragile baby. Day by day I get stronger. I now know what alcohol really is and what illusion it created for so long in my life. Sobriety has given me what alcohol promised.