Thread: Amends
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
August252015

Hi there - just a couple thoughts...both my husband and I are in recovery and it is each of our own business how we make our own amends. It's really a private thing and I'd want another person to give me the space my husband does to decide what I want to share. Is yours asking for your involvement? If so, I'd tread carefully and even if he is asking - truthfully, I'd stay out of it.

Does he have a good sponsor? From your intro we don't know how long he has been sober, how he is doing the steps (ie on his own, with a sponsor like the program recommends....) and other info that factors into all this, IMO and IME.

Are you in al-anon? I'm assuming you are not also an alcoholic.

I also found that amends haven't been a one and done process for me. Some I did "early" and two important ones just recently, and I am 3+ yr sober. About a 2 yr gap from first to most recent. And, in my program path, attention to new/ongoing amends and personal inventory is really necessary.

Lastly - I'd ask anyone in my life to respectfully back out til I had worked all the steps, if I didn't want them to completely. It's ultimately my recovery.