View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 05:48 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
August252015

I always doubt any statistics, studies etc whether from the NIH or "lay people" or any source- it's too hard IMO to get an accurate read on % of who gets sober how, who stays sober, why etc....maybe one day....

To the imparting of the decisive moment - I do not believe we can provide it for anyone else. We can guide, suggest and share from our experience and what has worked but for me and so many others I hear - nothing matters til we get it ourselves.

I can't explain my DONE moment other than as the culmination of emotional, physical, complete exhaustion that led me to having (finally!) no answer to the single word "Why?" I was asked by the liver dr that Feb day. And for the first time I could recall in ages, I had the striking, stunning thought that I didn't want to die. That's what it all took for me, thru dire warnings, education on what I was doing to my body, pleas and others prayers...so, so many things.

For me, it was about seizing that last final chance to live.

My husband had a quite different experience, essentially deciding he was dissatisfied enough with most things in his life that it was time to make major changes, including getting sober. He looked at it as a one year plan of change, at first. He came to accept that he was a "real alcoholic" and sobriety was his permanent choice. No exact single lightening bolt moment- and that's also how he tends to work in general whereas I am indeed prone to dramatic reveals, whether sooner or later

It's enough for me to hope that whatever prompts that final decision and ongoing choice of it is what happens to every single one of us who needs it.