View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  
SoberLeigh

Originally Posted by katlin View Post
Thank you, Willow, for your kind words. I hope that next Mother's Day you're at two years and I'm at one year. As of now, I'm so very thankful for two days. My Mother hated alcohol. She grew up in a very functional family and somehow ended up with my Dad whose middle name was "dysfunctional". He put her and us kids through so much but finally got it right thanks to AA when he was 58 years old. He became a real leader in the organization and several of the friends he met there came to his funeral when he passed with dementia (and liver cancer) almost twenty years sober. I followed in my mother's footsteps abstaining from alcohol entirely until I was 40. Now, almost 20 years later I am still a functioning dysfunctional drinker, but I am looking so forward to replacing alcohol with more worthwhile activities. One day at a time.
Katlin, I began my alcoholic drinking behavior later in life, too, and continued for 8 to 9 years. I began my sober journey at about the age that you are now. While my life is far from perfect, these 7+ years of sobriety have given me a ‘contentment with self’ I had never experienced previously and have given me the tools to meet life’s challenges in a healthy way.

Stay the course; there is really good stuff ahead of you.