View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
CupofJoe

Hi Sweeti,

So glad you're sticking around! I posted for at least three years on a different site before I finally got sober. While I recommend trying different things and really committing yourself, it's also important never to give up. And I'm glad you're staying honest and staying here and not disappearing.

One thing you mentioned in your other thread that I want to comment on is the idea of you "relapsing." Sweeti, I had the same thoughts when I was struggling. Why do I keep relapsing?

I didn't understand that one or two days, even a week!, of not drinking wasn't sobriety. I wasn't relapsing because I hadn't quit drinking. I was just drinking with a different pattern than I was used to.

You aren't relapsing. You're having breaks between drinks. I'm only saying this because sobriety--real sobriety--is so much better than what you're going through. It's worth working for.

One day (in the near future I hope!) you won't be tempted to drink because of lice, water heaters, ex-boyfriends, whatever. You'll have other ways of dealing with problems. It won't be an option.

You're not there yet. But you can get there. It really does involve a change of perspective. But you have to commit to sobriety and not drinking no matter what.

I'm always cheering you on, so I hope nothing here sounds harsh. I just want to see you succeed so badly. I remember what it was like to struggle and I want you to have the same clarity that eventually came to me.

Hope you feel better today.