Old 05-11-2019, 05:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Great opening post, Freshout. I get it.

Boredom: My counselors, both asked me why I drank, and when pressed to answer, I would say, "Because I was bored," but that was just a knee jerk response when put on the spot. Now, I know these counselors were professionals and all, but I believe that question is irrelevant. Consequently, I came up with an irrelevant response. Yes, I was bored sometimes, but so what? If you want to make a federal case out of it and press the issue some more, what could be more boring than a life of drinking yourself to sleep night after night? Yeah, I was bored, quite a bit of the time, actually, but let's put the focus on alcoholism, not boredom.

My chronic boredom went away when I quit drinking. There was nothing magical, creative, or step related that took it away. It was just an unexpected residual. One day several months into sobriety, I was surprised to realize that I hadn't been bored for months. There's just too much to do in life to justify boredom.

Boredom is self imposed, not a condition of your environment. To be honest, boredom does present itself from time to time, but it's never crippling, and I laugh at it. I can choose to live with it, or do something worthwhile, and believe me, I've got a "TO DO" list that is never completed. Yeah, it may require that I drag my lazy ass off the couch or away from my computer, but it's a choice I can make that changes the direction of my frame of mind.

I am no longer that child that I used to be whining to my mother, "I'm so bored," only to be told to go out and play. I'm an adult. I have resources, both financial and psychological. Boredom (or not) is my choice.