Old 05-10-2019, 07:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
freshout

Two weeks and I continue to feel good. Much more relaxed, optimistic, energetic and curious about life again. One thing I have discovered in my first attempts to embrace boredom (which was based on a question I asked in the first post) is that my memory has sharpened and I suddenly have access to time periods and events that I hadn't thought about for years. I'll just be sitting around or reading when all of a sudden there is a rush of nostalgia for something I had completely forgotten about.
For example, I was on the cross country team in high school and a night before the big state race we had a bonfire. We played this game where you stuff as many marshmallows into your mouth as possible and try to say "chubby bunny". We laughed so hard that night and it was such an innocent moment. No drinking, just goofing off with friends. I'm so thankful that I can access these things again in sobriety.
I think when I was drinking my memory was caught on a loop. Even though it had stopped being fun, I would constantly remind myself of the drinking times that were fun in order to reassure myself that alcohol made life better. There was simply no room for other memories.
Anyone have a similiar discovery?