Old 05-10-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SmallButMighty

I have a son and a daughter in their early and mid 20s. As their mother I am never not going to have concerns. My mum in her 70s still worries and frets about my decisions and I'm in my late 40s... I don't think that's something most parents can just shut off. If you add in the complications of addiction and early recovery, then yes indeed alarm bells are going to ring if my kid tells me she is choosing to get mixed into that chaos. Especially knowing what I know about being in a relationship that was full of alcoholism and codependence. If your mother has had to deal with addiction , in any form, in her lifetime, her concern is coming from a very real, very poignant place.

That being said, you are an adult and are allowed to make your own choices. I echo what the others have said about you educating yourself about addiction., recovery and relapse.

I'm sorry, I don't have advice about how to help you make sure all these people around you are happy. Honestly that isn't your job. The only person you have any real control over is yourself.

When my daughter was your age I suggested she read a book called "Codependent No More". That book had changed my life, and after she read it, it changed her's too. You don't have to be a "codependent" to learn a lot about boundaries and about not trying to control other people's feelings or behaviors. It's an easy read if you'd like to have a look at it. I wish I had read it when I was your age instead of when I was 40. My life would have been a whole lot healthier and happier if I had.

Take good care.