Old 05-06-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Fearlessat50

Hi Freshout, congrats on 10 days. I didn’t have much time to be bored because I was dealing with work and life challenges. But I was very restless and anxious. My therapist told me boredom, anxiety and restlessness are very common in early sobriety. It does pass. I had to establish new routines for myself. Even making the bed first thing in the morning was a big deal. Then I’d do a meditation followed by exercise (often running) when my schedule allowed. I took yoga classes a few nights a week with my husband’s support at home.

When I had more time on my hands, I did feel boredom sometimes. I started journaling, painting and other art projects and found my creative side, cooking and baking, journaling. I enjoy listening to podcasts now as well. I’m always expanding and discovering.

When we stop drinking, there is so much more time and mental space to explore new ideas, hobbies and activities. I have also learned there are times I simply need to sit still and relax. It has been so good for my mind to meditate. I think it’s something we all need.

I had to put some distance between me and my heavy drinking friends. A couple years later, one has come back in my life, but only occasionally. She is still a heavy drinker, but she respects my decision not to drink. She is trying to quit herself and says she is inspired by me I am no longer friends with the others. They are a mess, unsupportive of me, and it’s too toxic to be around them. I have made new friends, both nondrinkers and normies. I have learned a lot about setting boundaries.