Thread: Brooks was here
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sasha1972

I know people who were problem drinkers (alcoholics) who have quit and gone on to live happy, alcohol-free lives. In the case of the person I know best, they key was understanding and working on some of the childhood traumas that started him down the road of escaping reality through alcohol. But he was very motivated - he knew the drinking would kill him if he kept it up - and he also changed lots of other aspects of his life, from exercise to working on his marriage. He works in an industry (music/DJing) which involves lots of late nights in bars where drinking and drugs are everywhere, so the fact that he's been able to maintain his sobriety and just be the dude with the Diet Coke is impressive (he also built in a lot of accountability for himself - told friends and co-workers that he wanted to go clean, some ragged on him about it but most were supportive).

I managed to exit 25 years of marriage to an alcoholic now in the late stages of the disease and I now live a life that makes me happy, except for having to deal with an alcoholic who still won't leave me alone. But that is only one part of my life, not all of it. So recovery from "codependency" (don't really like that term but can't find a better one) is also possible.