View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DiggingForFire

Custody, Active Drinking

Hi All. I was hoping to get the perspective of those of you who coparent with alcoholic.

My XAH currently has our four-year-old two nights a week. As far as I knew, he wasn’t drinking since his near death experience and getting out of rehab. We don’t have sober link in the settlement agreement, I was just trying to get the agreement done since I got him to agree to letting me have most of her time.

I found out this morning through a third-party and that he has been drinking. His girlfriend the last few months didn’t even know he was allegedly in recovery so this is not just a slip.

Has anyone had success pushing back with a drinking alcoholic on how much custody they should have? He told me today he thought he should have her three nights a week and I didn’t really say anything, because I didn’t have a basis to refuse the visit today. The expectation is to say no and that he needs to take me to court if he wants more than he agreed to. I would like to go back to court for a temporary custody order where she can’t spend the night with him, but I am afraid of opening up the possibility that if he gets back on the wagon he could then ask for 50-50, which I have so far been able to resist. If the court gets involved, i’m really worried that that the end of whatever crisis. They would set it at 5050 which is the default in my state.