View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 04:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forwards

Another quick check in - Day 120 has arrived!

As I mentioned previously, the latest challenge I set myself was to attend a tech conference to gauge work opportunities and start to network again. This went well despite my prior anxieties and nervousness on the day. There was an after-event in the evening with free alcohol and a gathering in the pub which I ardently avoided...

Anyway, the keynote speaker had the theme 'joining the dots' and it got me thinking. In software engineering and the tech industry in general, amongst all the disparate languages and approaches there begin to emerge common themes and 'right' ways of doing things. You only start to notice this over time and with the effort of studying a diversity of fields. If you can 'join the dots' you can apply these principles and will get ahead and succeed.

Recovery, I am starting to find, is broadly similar. I have now had a lot of hugely valuable input from SR, AA, my alcohol counsellor, my care coordinator, my psychotherapist and my psychiatrist. All of these input streams are starting to coalesce into some idea of the 'right' way to do recovery. I am joining the dots here as well. Only today for example, my therapist was commenting on how helpful some of the ideas of AA are (particularly gratitude and taking daily inventory) in psychotherapy and in maintaining good mental health in general. There are many other synergies to be explored here.

I'm by no means complacent though. It's still early days and I'm sure there will be challenges ahead, but for now things are going well ODAAT and I'm grateful.

Thanks for reading. Onwards...

Forwards.