View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

The best relapse prevention is to commit, to yourself, that you will never drink again.
I mean a relapse is actually drinking again ,yeah? Planning to avoid or prevent a relapse is really just an out we give ourselves ,dressed in jargon , to engineer an excuse for some more booze.
Without lying to yourself, which I maintain is impossible, how could you ever expect to find some booze under your nose and entering your mouth via manipulating the muscles in wrist to tilt , unless you never intended to actually quit.
I learned about AVRT/RR and those ideas taught me how to live comfortably with residual desire . How to separate from the “want for a drink” and simply not act on it, and how to plan to never act on it again.
Kind of a double edged sword, that mindset allowed me to end my addiction which was fantastic. And that mindset showed me how I can’t accidentally or unintentionally just out of the blue relapse , I will forever have to purposefully put more booze in my mouth. And that’s ok, I don’t drink , even if I ever wanted to again, all because of some irrational commitment I made to myself that I know can keep just because I decided to, like countless other people have and continue to do.
Learn about AVRT , there are great threads here on SR in the Secular Recovery forum, make a Big Plan and see how anything I’ve said is just your AV pushing back and calling bs.
Rootin for ya