View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
not money directly to them.
i drive through an area with people on the streets with their signs. one particular man stands on the same corner monday,wednesday,and friday with his,"need work-family to support" sign.
tuesday,thursday,and saturday hes on a different corner in same city with an ace bandage around his ankle,crutches, and sign:"injured-cant work. family to support."
Pretty much the same. I spent a year living in Chattanooga, TN which has a HUGE homeless problem. Every single day I saw at least 5 of the same people, and in the same (or like tomsteve said, the same/diff spots based on day or whatever) places with their "story."

I tried not to be jaded then I learned the following:
Someone who really needs the food they are asking for will be thrilled if you bring them a meal from the restaurant where you work.
Those wanting money for something besides food don't want the food.
Taking someone into a grocery store with say $20 (there was this cheap one right in the middle of downtown and the restaurant area where I worked and the largest concentration of begging happened) can lead to a guilt inducing situation where the person keeps pushing for more than the ingredients for a meal you picked out together.

And so on.

So, no, I very rarely give money to anyone asking. I hate seeing the need but I choose to give money in other ways to specific causes I care about. Or as Manta Lady said, put things together for specific stuff like winter - or, what my husband and I did for Advent. One food item a day from a suggested list of what was needed at places near here that feed our city in need, and all items boxed and donated at the end.