View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
good on ya!
something to think about on that whole AA being religious:
if it was religious, what religion would it be? personally when im at a meeting with a buddhist, christian, jew, athiest, catholic, and a hindu, its hard for me to pick.
religion is for people afraid of going to hell.
spirituality is for people that have been there.
AA is a spiritual set of principles.
tomsteve, as I do about 99.9% of the time, I love you! And I am flat plagiarizing this for the best way to say this whole "God thing issue." Thanks!

Sober Dad- good stuff and glad you enjoyed the meeting. I didn't want to do AA for, oh, ever, and bottom line that was because I wanted to keep drinking; took me a bit of sober time to admit that. My psych is well schooled in addiction and she, too, says that AA is the program she has seen work for the most people, for the longest sober time. True for me and I hope you give it a legit try - there's a great reason to try the 90 mtgs in 90 days suggested, or even 30/30 - the idea being to give it enough time it starts to "sink in."

Or - that whatever fundamental, recovery-specific program of action you choose is one you get sober using. Lots of us around here can talk about what works for us - you've prob read on that since you've been here

I'd also add that if you didn't previously, joining the Class of Apr 2019 is a great idea- my Class of Feb 2016 became an awesome support group of folks quitting the same time as I did.

Oh, and I have not taken Gabapentin but indeed other alcohol(ism) specific meds, and successfully used Antabuse as one PART of my recovery - just emphasizing that because IMO and IME, drugs are great tools for plenty of us, but again that fundamental program of recovery is critical.