View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 01:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
PeacefulWater12

Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I'm reading my post from 12 years ago. Yes my AH did have Wernicke-Korsakoff or wet brain. He has long term memory but no short term memory. He now lives in a group home since this happened in 2006. Very sad that at 42 years of age he cannot take care of himself as he has no executive function. He is now 54. I have never met anyone in all my years of Alanon that had an alcoholic with this disability. Would like to hear from someone else if there is anyone out there.
Hi Purple Sky

When I worked in a nursing home many years ago, there was a lady with this disease. All the other residents were very elderly in the home. This lady stood out as she was so much younger.

In her 40's I would think. She had a very strong, slim, reasonably fit body. She was empty though, her mind was gone. I was told alcohol had destroyed the functionality of her mind. She needed full personal care, could do nothing for herself. Need to be guided.

She was an empty shell. She did as asked by the nursing staff. Followed instructions, I feel without really knowing what was going on. Was very quiet and gentle.

The most shocking part to me was that I was told she had been in the home for about ten years already and could easily live right through to old age, due to her strong, healthy body.

This contrasted with many of the other very elderly residents with failing, old bodies but sharp, alert minds.

Recalling this has brought tears to my eyes. It was so terribly sad.

I recall in her room she had an oil painting of a fabulous young woman. I had just thought it was a general painting. Someone then mentioned it was of picture of this lady in her youth.

Hope this post helps and is maybe of comfort to you. Sending you understanding and empathy.