View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 02:31 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Beachn

Originally Posted by PuzzledHeart View Post
I thought beachn was asking if somebody would be classified as being in early recovery if he/she had only been in recovery less than 5 years. At least, that's what I'm HOPING he meant.

That said, I'll chime in on the rehab scene. One of my close relatives was in rehab, and she claims that it was exposure to people who were in similar straits that made her realize once and for all that she needed to end her addiction. She got tired of listening to people day in and day out blame everything and everyone besides themselves for their addictions, and she wanted to become someone who wasn't afraid of owning their own #$%#%. I should add that she had voluntarily disclosed her addiction and willingly attended rehab in a facility that was similar to Hazelden, so she most likely more prepared than others who were forced to attend rehab to take that journey towards recovery.
It was a question, nothing more. I say my opinion clearly.

The second part was my understanding of how rehab is addressed, but it was not to be. Instead, as someone else posted she jumped into the drama and chaos. I will never understand the choices, but I also wasn’t drinking 12 units a day while on naltrexone for 3 weeks prior (the Sinclair method which she wasn’t compliant) to admittance after years of high stress, intense alcohol consumption, placed on a high dose of an anti depressant 3 days after detox that is known to cause mania...without proper supervision.

She is still a very attractive and intelligent woman and did not fit in, until she did, and became queen of rehab. Seriously, there were no less than 10 people blowing up her phone upon discharge. Throw in 2 prior detoxes in less than 3 months and the shame/guilt of practically abandoning her children and is this what you get?

Still, how do you not keep your focus on getting clean when you have 2 young children at home that are visiting you every damn week, with your spouse, as a reminder of what’s important. I don’t get it. Crazy making.