View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 12:25 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  
kenton

Originally Posted by Sunflower84 View Post
Morning all,

24 for me please

I'm hoping for strength today to face my yoga class tonight, sounds stupid but after all the alcohol abuse I'm so full of anxiety, it's stripped my character away from me... I've been wanting to start yoga for sooooo long and this course locally for 6 weeks really appeals to me. I think it'll be a big part of my healing and recovery. I booked last time and had a melt down before it so I didn't turn up. I can't do the same again, must get there tonight. I'm telling myself its a therapy appointment I'm going to, a part of my recovery, which it is to me... instead of a group class situation which is what sets off my anxiety.

Have a lovely Tuesday everyone.
Hey Katie! I really really hope you get to your yoga class later. Yoga has been a total game changer for me and my recovery. I have many powerful weapons in my armoury in this battle against alcoholism and yoga is one of the most important. If not THE most important. I don't go to AA but I read a lot about connecting to a higher power and surrendering and since I started doing yoga, I now understand what that means. For me, yoga helps me connect to a higher power and it has been unbelievably effective in helping to get my ego under control. And that's the crucial thing. It's our ego that causes us to feel anxiety about group classes. We fear we'll be judged.... maybe we won't be as good as everyone else.... maybe everyone else will be experts.... But there's no place for ego in yoga. It's just you and your mat on your journey. Everyone else is on their journey ..... What they're doing is completely irrelevant to you and what you're doing is irrelevant to them. I used to think yoga was just another exercise class. It's so much more than that. Often at the end of a class, I find myself with tears streaming down my face and I experience a level of calm I never thought possible before. My yoga teacher explains how yoga opens chakras, allows the free movement of energy within the body and releases negative energy that may have been trapped within the body for years. That explains the tears but to be honest, I don't fully understand how yoga works. I just know that it does. And that's just on an emotional level. Physically my body is stronger now than it's ever been. I'd weakened my knees after years of long distance running but yoga has strengthened them and I'm now able to run faster than ever. So please please go to the class Katie. I think the fact you had a meltdown before the last class was the result of a battle between your AV and subconscious. Your inner voice is telling you that you need to go to that class. Listen to that voice and ignore the AV. And let me know later how you got on. I'll be waiting to hear. Love to everyone and 24 more for me please xxx