Thread: I need help
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 12:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Guener

Ty, welcome to SR and it's good to hear you recognize that you have a problem. It's hard to say how much direct investment in terms of treatment that you feel that you need, because it's different for each person. Recovery, I think, is very specific to the person that needs it. Have you tried to stop drinking for any period of time yet?

Being a police officer has to be very stressful, and that kind of input can contribute to the desire to pick up. I found Cognitive Behavioral Therapy very useful to me in coping with my own worries and in recognizing negative thoughts that can cause me to think about a drink, then what to do about those ideas and feelings. It's something that you can perhaps use on your own or with the guidance of others to aid you in that area.

We can all appreciate that you want to remain anonymous, especially as it concerns your vocation. SR is a great place for that and to help you sort out whether or not you need more to obtain sobriety. Putting aside the alcohol will also inform you about how much you need. It really does begin with just not drinking at all.

Thank you for your prior and continued service.