Old 04-09-2019, 07:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
August252015

Cold turkey.

The only one I specifically communicated with was a text to a grey area kind of bf who was one of my biggest enablers - I told him I was finally getting sober and asked him not to contact me. He has respected that for 3+ years; I have not yet made amends I possibly should, because I am not sure it is good for either of us for ANY communication to be re-established.

For the first 90-100 days, I only spent time with my parents, people I saw at my safe (fast food) job, and the people I slowly got to know in AA. After that, so in the summer of 2016, I started reaching out to friends I knew would support my sobriety to get together in person. Thankfully, somehow, I knew instinctively that I HAD to create a world that ONLY people who deserve of my table are given a seat. Period. Whether alcoholics or not, and my circle has both, only people trying to live their own best lives get my time, attention and love.

This is life and death for me, and the saying "people, places and practices" is central to my life. MY sobriety has to come first, no matter what. And if other people's feelings get hurt? Well, that's not a life and death issue.

Now, I socialize broadly when I want, w/in the sober community and beyond, but I'm tirelessly selective about who gets my emotions and support.