Old 04-09-2019, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
jimmyJlover

I had a big problem with this, and still do at 160 days sober. But...it is WAY easier comparable to 30 days sober. I did isolate the first 60 days. It was best for me though. Things change. There are several variables:
1) as you get sober, you start doing sober things, and sober things usually involve folks who don't really drink
2) I found a few friends who I drank with didn't really come around anymore once they found out I don't drink, making me realize how much of friends we were
3) I found that I myself stopped calling a few folks once I got sober, as my interests changed
4) my real close friends who still drink and know I don't respect me and we are still great friends...I emphasize RESPECT because those who are truly close to you will give you this

I think the biggest thing I have learned over 5 months being sober is that my interests changed. Trying to hang on to a social life involving a lifestyle I was also trying to leave behind was contradictory. All I am saying is that I found myself not wanting to head to a bbq if the sole purpose was to sit on a deck/porch for 5hrs and drink, even if my close friends were there. Guess what...thats ok! It just changes a bit, not a deal breaker for those who are close to you. But those who you may have been linked to through alcohol, well they might fade away.

Also, if I do hang out with some of my close friends I tend to keep it on a time frame, rather than endless hours of nothing...watching them drink. I just don't want to do that. See above though (my interests have changed). All I can say is that I feel different now. Friendships are still solid with those I love.

*In short, don't confuse "isolation" from the realization your interests may have changed and you don't choose to hang out with those folks. That's growth not isolation.