View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
5329guy

Adversity in early sobriety

I'm newly sober, today makes day 19. Thus far, all has been going pretty darn smooth, seeing my therapist weekly, attending a lot of AA meetings, reading a lot on SR and elsewhere.

Then, suddenly, out of the blue this morning, my wife calls me and says that she was just laid off of her job. WTF?! She's a professional and had been with the company for 6+ years. She was basically making six figures and, poof, out the window. I only mention her salary because it's going to be a big hit to our family losing her income and she is going to have a tough time finding another position like the one she was in with a comparable salary.

While there's never a good time for something like this, I can't help but wonder, why now? Why did this happen while we're trying to navigate the very early days of my recovery? What, if anything, is God/the universe/fill in your deity if any here, trying to show/teach me/us?

The good news is that I still have a very good job that contributes about 60% of our combined income. (trying to stay in gratitude here )

And maybe even bigger, not once upon hearing the bad news did it even cross my mind to drink. Literally, not once. Instead, my mind instantly went to things like how best to support her through this and how we can begin to cut expenses to accommodate the big decrease in $.

I can't help but wonder if this is somehow a test for me/us? How will I respond? I certainly know how I would've responded if this had happened a month ago, I'd have used it as just another excuse to start slamming down drinks. Not this time.