View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 06:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post

Keep it general until you have found your feet and got to know the people in the group. This is from the big book, which says "our stories disclose in a general way..." The reason is that it can be unwise to disclose too much. Some things are not for general consumption and are better kept for a more confidential setting. Discretion is wise.
Gottalife shares something important and very wise.

I took it slowly as far as my first share, and didn't get a sponsor right away as I was fortunately told right away to "look for the people who have what I want." So I listened for the folks who shared the ESH (Experience, strength and hope - what it was like, what happened to get us willing to stop, and what we have found in recovery) that helped me see the kind of beautiful life that could be mine.

When I did get my first sponsor, I began to learn what kind of shares were better for a group - or for our private conversations. Sometimes I still reign myself in when the need to vent and perhaps blab on unhelpfully pops up.

There is so much to absorb if you really get into the program. Going to meetings is the important first step and not stressing over the (weird) lingo, the stuff you don't "get" and the personalities (different than the program) you will certainly hear speak.

When are you going back?