View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 12:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Needabreak

Originally Posted by FallenAngelina View Post
I agree that there is entirely too much denigration of addicts and a lot of "Us. vs. Them" conversation that goes unchecked in this forum section. I get it that we have all been hurt by alcoholics, but the generalizing and put downs of an entire group that seem to be acceptable discussion topics - I don't get that at all and I don't find it helpful for anything but fomenting more and more anger. I'm glad you said something.
This part of the forum is for people who have interacted with alcoholics and addicts. It is not a recovery board for alcoholics and addicts. Many people here have had very difficult experiences, and the anger is still raw. Working through that anger is a big part of our own codependent recovery. I get why people post these things and see no need to put them down for it.

That said, to stay stuck in a place of anger is not helpful. At some point we do have to take responsibility for our own feelings, our own happiness, and not give others so much control.

After all, in many cases, we chose to get into and stay in the situation. Putting the focus back on ourselves and asking ourselves why is the really important question