View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 11:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
You are already helping other addicts simply by being here as a participant on SR even if you didn't realize it. If you put the program of AA itself aside, or any recovery group for that matter, every recovery community is basically a group of individuals with a similar goal who support each other. AKA - there's a lot more that's the same between the overall goals of recovery programs/groups than there are differences.

Think of all the newcomers that sign up on SR that are in desperate need of help, or the countless others who never sign up and just come here to read. Sharing what we know and engaging in conversation in itself can be tremendously helpful. Also sharing compassion/hope, even virtually can be huge. Many who come here to SR may not have a single person in their life who cares or even knows about their problem - and a simple "I get it...you are welcome here." goes a long way.
Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Sharing on this and other forums, where alcoholics are looking for help, is a great way to do service. Writing about early recovery, what tips you have for staying sober can be a big help.
Thanks for that.

I'm sticking close to SR largely for this reason, even though it's been almost 2 years and my sobriety is pretty rock solid. Although I don't formally AA, it really is my 12th step.

But I want to do more. Like share things one-on-one. I think my sober journey is different because I used so many methods and was cross-addicted to several things over the years. Thinking more like substance use counselor or organizations that help addict/alcoholics.

Anyone know of any organizations that would benefit from volunteers and would allow some actual talking face-to-face with people in recovery?